We have a selection of great rides. On most Sundays at least two rides of different lengths are offered from the same starting location to accommodate different riders and schedules. Our rides are fun and usually resolve into smaller groups of riders of similar riding abilities and speed preferences. We hope that you will join us. We ride in Chittenden and other nearby counties as well as New York, southern Quebec and other areas of Vermont. Rides are free and open to non-members, however if you like the rides, please consider becoming a member. All riders must sign the GMBC Rider Waiver once per season to participate in any GMBC event.
- COVID-19 notice (as of 23 June 2020): Please see the Events page for COVID-19 protocol updates including signing up for rides in advance and having a mask to wear before and after rides and during food stops.
- The Ride Schedule for the 2020 riding season is posted on the Events calendar. Most day touring rides are on Sunday mornings. Please note that sometimes weather (extremely warm temperatures or storms) or other unforeseen events may impact or change a ride or ride start location. Check the GMBC email list or contact the ride leader for updated information.
- Day Touring Map and Cue Sheet Library
- Ride Leader Information and Documents
- PDF of 2020 Day Touring Schedule; please note that some rides have been changed or rescheduled. See the Events page or the GMBC list serve (email) for the most updated ride and ride leader information.
- PDF of 2019 Day Touring Schedule; 2019 Day Touring Schedule 31Aug-Oct
- PDF of 2018 Day Touring Schedule: April-July; 2018 Day Touring Schedule: Aug-Oct
- PDF of 2017 Day Touring Schedule
We recommend road bikes and some experience riding in a group. Helmets are required on all rides. All riders must obey the rules of the road. Bring water, spare inner tube, and snacks/money. If the ride includes the ferry, you will also need cash for the ferry. If you are new to road biking or riding in groups, check out the club’s Introductory Rides. More experienced riders may also enjoy the training rides on Tuesday and Wednesday evenings, and Saturday mornings. Please contact Phyl, the touring chairperson if you have any questions. Riders below the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent.
Touring ride classifications
- Social Ride: 10-14 mph average (depending on route), no one is dropped, a very casual ride, typically longer food breaks. Always contact the social ride leader before the ride to be sure that these versions of the ride are taking place. More social ride leaders are needed! If you are interested in these type of rides and are willing to help lead, please contact Phyl. Please email Donna, to be added to the Social Riders email contact list, which is the only guaranteed notification for these rides.
- E: Easy, average under 10 mph, not necessarily flat (this is Vermont, after all) but close
- EM: Moderately easy, up to 50 miles, average under 12 mph, some hills
- M: Experienced riders, average usually 16 mph or less, expect varied terrain with hills.
- S: Strong riders, no limits, any terrain possible including mountainous